I have been studying for the 70-743 exam (upgrading from MCSA: Windows Server 2012) for the past 6 weeks, and was able to pass it with a decent score 817 (min. passing score is 700).
In order for me to pass, I used differrent study materials such as books, videos and websites.
If you are on the same journey, I’m providing a study guide of which resources I used, and which questions you will need to answer right of the bat for you to pass.
Before you start studying for the exam, you should take a look of which areas Microsoft have included in the path for the upgrade.
You can find the information here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/exam-70-743.aspx.
The official exam ref. book from Microsoft, isn’t a good source for knowledge. It gave a decent overview of which technologies the exam consisted of, but in regards to actually getting the knowledge needed to pass, I wouldn’t recommend it as a single source of research.
I used CBT Nuggets as a visual walk trough for the new technologies in Windows Server 2016. Although they don’t have a dedicated course for the 70-743, they have one for the complete MCSA: Windows Server 2016 (70-740, 70-741 and 70-742) certification. I didn’t watch all the videos in the series, but only those areas which is mentioned on the official exam website. The instructors gives a really good overall explanation on the technologies required.
If you can answer the following questions regarding Windows Server, you should be ready to take the 70-743 exam. Foreach question I will provide a link to the answer. There might be more than one correct answer to a question below, but the questions link points to which tool or technology you should know about in order to pass.
- How do you create a Windows Server Nano Server image through PowerShell?
- What does “WindowsFeature”, “Present”, “Service” and “Running” mean in regards to PowerShell DSC?
- What does AVMA stand for and is internet connectivity required?
- How do you restore group memberships from a group where a user accidentally changed it?
- How do you change password for the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) chip?
- What port is WSUS default using for clients?
- How do you see which server own a FSMO role?
- How do you change the Docker daemon to a specific port?
- How and where do you allow a certain security group to administer Docker?
- Which PowerShell cmdlet allows you to track a VM’s network traffic inside a Hyper-V host?
- Which security group allows you to administer a DHCP server in a IPAM setup?
- Which role do you need to install for enabling Web Application Proxy?
- What pre-authentication is required for Remote Desktop (RD) gateway service through Web Application Proxy?
- How do you add a new domain to a forest through PowerShell?
- How do you trigger a password replication to all read-only domain controllers?
- Can a generation 1 VM boot from a VHDX disk?
- How do you remove a disk from a storage pool with a parity storage layout?
- How do you add an network traffic ACL for a VM hosted on a Hyper-V?
- In Hyper-V, which object do you set the VLAN subnet ID?
- How to disable a DNS server to use root hints through PowerShell.
- How do you identify if a server role is installed on a Nano Server?
- Which VPN protocol supports reconnect in Windows Server 2016?
- In a failover cluster which PowerShell cmdlets should you use to move a cluster role to another node, and stop the cluster node?
- How do you create one single DHCP scope from two logical IP subnets?
- Know what Set-VMNetworkAdapterTeamMapping does?
- How do you export and import a VM?
- How do you limit the network bandwidth between 2 servers running storage replica?
- In nested virtualization in Hyper-V what doesn’t work?
- Do you know how to configure failover cluster Hyper-V load balancing through PowerShell?
- Which role should be installed for enabling NAT on Windows Server 2016?
- What does the following package install “Microsoft-NanoServer-Compute-Package” on a Nano Server?
- How do you create a interactive session to another server through PowerShell?
- How do you add drivers to a Windows image in a offline state?
- Which roles can be added to a Nano server?
- What is a NSG?
If you had trouble answering most of the questions above, you should do some more research in the areas for the exam.
I encourage you to do your own labs and if you have a subscription for CBT Nuggets, you get this for “free”.
Let me know if the above helped you, share your experience in the comments below.
Perfectly pent articles , thankyou for selective information . Libby Bat Santos